I have implemented an alternative approach in Validator that uses an
svn:external to pull in the commons-build.

http://www.mail-archive.com/commons-dev%40jakarta.apache.org/msg76982.html
http://svn.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi?rev=386450&view=rev

I set up a new "shared-build" directory in commons-build and created
an svn:external to pull in that directory. Anything that gets dropped
in "shared-build" will be automatically pulled into Validator  (or any
other component that uses it) via the svn:external.

This has the benefit of removing commons-build, but not introducing
the requirement to be online to build or view the docs properly.

Niall