On Sun, 2006-03-19 at 21:32 -0500, Sandy McArthur wrote:
> I've preped Pool for a 1.3 to my satisfaction and uploaded the related files:
> http://people.apache.org/~sandymac/pool/1.3-rc1/
> http://people.apache.org/~sandymac/pool/1.3-rc1/site/
>
> What's next? Do I start a vote or is that the job of a PMC member?

anyone can start a VOTE :)

but only pmc'ers have votes that can bind the ASF legally.

a formal VOTE thread is required for a release.

if you start a VOTE, you should specify a duration (not less than a
week, say) and should tally the VOTEs on a [RESULT] post to the thread.

it's usually cleaner if you announce the first release candidate on list
first so that people involved with the component can check it. this
saves lots of VOTE threads one after another.

i usually start a release by nominating myself or someone else as
release manager and then preparing a release plan. these votes are done
by lazy consensus and no formal VOTE thread is necessary.

- robert