From: Thomas Dudziak [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, March 23, 2006 9:43 AM
To: Jakarta Commons Developers List
Subject: Re: Proposal: Commons for .NET (dotnet)

On 3/22/06, Kevin Ross <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I find myself in the C# world these days, at a tremendous loss to the
> libraries I am used to in the java world (not to mention some drastic
> cultural changes), namely commons-* and my other open projects which
> are very dependent on commons.
>
> I found some people who put some effort into something called
> Dotnet.Commons, but to my displeasure, they were fairly minimal
> implementations, converted only some of the apache code, yanked out
> all comments regarding source implementation details and authors,
> deleted unit tests, and THEY STUCK LGPL on the code.  Those things
> together led me to dismiss the projects as viable.
>
> I have attempted to bring most dependencies that directly impact me
> into one workspace (solution), and run the Java Language Conversion
> Assistant (JLCA) on all the code.  This includes not only my projects,
> but the following commons projects:
>
> commons-beanutils
> commons-codec
> commons-collections
> commons-digester
> commons-email
> commons-fileupload
> commons-httpclient
> commons-io
> commons-lang
> commons-logging
> commons-net
> commons-pool
>

> This is not to say that this code all compiles, on the contrary, it is
> converted to C#, and some code compiles.  I am only picking off one
> file at a time as necessary for me to complete my projects (i.e.
incrementalism).
> At this time, only commons-logging (or commons-net-logging as I've
> called
> it) works fully over log4net.  One thing I have continued to do, is
> where I find opportunities to search/replace on patterns, I do it
> globally.  This has accelerated the conversion of unit tests to NUnit in
particular.

> What I am looking for is a place to share my work with others and
> stimulating the use of open source in the .NET (dotnet) world, while
> sticking to the core principles that have made jakarta-commons so
> successful.  I am a committer with Apache for the Xindice project,
> though I haven't been active for some time.  I hope this might ease
> the acceptance of this code for the potenial community gain.
>
> Nontheless, this is something that needs to happen.  Is there interest
> in this from others?  I cannot single-handedly do this, but I can
> contribute and I would like to help chip away at this codebase that
> has been so important to us in the java community.  Apache's adoption
> of these projects can make them successful.

+1 for the general idea. I often find myself wishing that there were
some open source libraries that wouId make my life easier when doing C#
work.
In particular, I would suspect that commons-collections and
commons-digester, and perhaps also parts of commons-lang, are quite useful.
Especially the collections of the dotnet framework are rather poor, e.g. no
set classes.
If you want to start something like this in the sandbox, then I'd like to
help.

cheers,
Tom

NOTICE OF CONFIDENTIALITY

The information in this e-mail, including any attachments, may
contain confidential and/or privileged patient health information.
This e-mail
is intended to be reviewed only by the individual or organization
named above as the addressee. If you have received this e-mail in
error, please notify Spheris immediately -- by returning the
message to the original sender or [EMAIL PROTECTED] -- and destroy
all copies of this message and any attachments. Confidential health
information is protected by state and federal laws, including, but
not limited to, the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability
Act (HIPAA) of 1996 and its related regulations.  Thank you.