Sandy:

I see this comment in the unit test:

// The following should not throw exceptions just because the pool is
closed.

Then later, a second call to close() without a catch block, which is
like what I need.

>From a quick glance through View-SVN, it looks like the close() method
no longer throws an exception if the receiver is already closed. Check?

Thanks,
Gary

Sandy
> McArthur
> Sent: Thursday, March 23, 2006 8:49 PM
> To: Jakarta Commons Developers List
> Subject: Re: [pool] BaseObjectPool.isClosed() visibility [was:
Announcing
> Release Candidate 2 for Pool 1.3]
>
> I think the pool 2 behavior will meet your needs but I'll let the code
> speak for itself as it should be unambigous.
>
> Take a look at the TestObjectPool.testClosedPoolBehavior() test (about
> 45% down the file) and let me know if a pool that passes that test
> meets your needs. Here's a link to the trunk version of that file:

http://svn.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/jakarta/commons/proper/pool/trunk/src/
te
> st/org/apache/commons/pool/TestObjectPool.java?view=markup
>
> On 3/23/06, Gary Gregory <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Sandy:
> >
> > I am looking for a way to query the pool for its open/close state.
> >
> > Background: for those who care ;)
> >
> > When our app server shuts down, we have a couple of threads that
need to
> > shutdown and clean up their resources. It so happens (don't ask)
that
> > more than one thread may want to close() the pool.
> >
> > When you call close() a second time (or more), you get an exception.
> > Alternatively, close() could be quiet, a no-op, if the pool is
already
> > closed.
> >
> > Right now, I have a subclass (hack) which implements an isOpen()
method
> > which calls super.isClosed(). This is not what I want to do.
Ideally,
> > I'd like to wrap the GenericObjectPool instance and not subclass it,
but
> > that's another topic for our app.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Gary