On 4/11/06, Jörg Schaible <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Simon Kitching wrote on Tuesday, April 11, 2006 11:40 AM:
>
> > On Tue, 2006-04-11 at 11:32 +0200, Jörg Schaible wrote:
> >> Simon Kitching wrote on Tuesday, April 11, 2006 11:22 AM:
> >>
> >> [snip]
> >>
> >> Drop the "globally" here. It is dependent on the generator what
> >> "globally" means.
> >
> > Yes, but "Generate unique identifiers" doesn't seem to be to give much
> > of a clue about the purpose of a project. Maybe:
> >
> >   id: "Generate unique identifiers (UUIDs and similar values)".
>
> Fine :)

Actually, I like the original wording better.  Some of the provided
identifiers are not guaranteed to be unique.  Some are random (so
could collide with low probability), some can wrap (so *will* repeat
after a designated period). Some are even constant :-)  Some are very
predictable (the sequential generators), some are designed to be
unpredictable (the secure ones).  The one thing that they all have in
common is that they all implement the IdentifierGenerator interface.
So I think it is best to just say that Id is for generating
identifiers.

Phil