Simon Kitching wrote:
Hi,

I've been able to reproduce the logging problem I reported earlier with
very little trouble. However I am unable to figure out *why* it's
failing.

To summarise: Class Log4JLogger is being loaded from a classloader; that
classloader can see file "Log4JLogger.class" fine as a resource.
Log4JLogge depends on org.apache.log4j.Category, but that is also
visible from the classloader. Yet Log4JLogger gets NoClassDefFound when
loaded. Very puzzling.

As you can see, while investigating this I found the need for some more
diagnostics so I've added them.

I just tried to build commons-logging trunk with your enhanced diagnostics
using JDK 1.4 on Windows XP. The tests won't build because:

compile.tests:
    [javac] Compiling 30 source files to
G:\apache\jakarta-commons-logging\target\tests
    [javac]
G:\apache\jakarta-commons-logging\src\test\org\apache\commons\logging\PathableClassLoader.java:244:
 getResources(java.lang.String) in org.apache
.commons.logging.PathableClassLoader cannot override
getResources(java.lang.String) in java.lang.ClassLoader; overridden method is
final
    [javac]     public Enumeration getResources(String name) throws IOException
{
    [javac]                        ^
    [javac] 1 error

</snip>