On Wed, 2006-05-03 at 09:44 -0700, Henri Yandell wrote:
> I don't think anythings written down, so the direction would be
> personal interviews, svn logs and mailing list history.

+1

the ASF is self-recording: we try to keep our development as open and
public as possible.

> > Did anybody write down the history of Jakarta Commons? I couldn't find
> > anything. Because of the charter 1.0 I suppose it started in March 2001.
> > The first release I found was made in July 2001 (collections).
> >
> > Maybe I can get more detailed information, but where?

the early history is recorded on the [EMAIL PROTECTED]
unfortunately, i'm having problems finding a public archive for this
list. if you need information from this list, i'll see if we can archive
it.

the list is then split into
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/jakarta-commons-dev/ and
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/jakarta-commons-user/ and
continues to the present.

the pre-history of jakarta-commons (the events leading up the formation
of the commons) is to be found on
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/jakarta-general/ plus the
(private) pmc and board lists.

- robert