Selon Phil Steitz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> First, thanks for your interest in joining forces.

You're welcome.

> So if your
> interest is in bringing in code and maybe more contributors and
> working on it here, then that will be great.

This is what I want, contributing. Mantissa is one of my pet projects, it is
reliable and successfull, and used in several places. But I failed to gather
myself a community around this project, and this is a major weakness. I am the
sole developper behind Mantissa (except for one class which was contributed by
a user and redesigned by me before inclusion). One developper means only one
way of thinking, no peers reviews except from users, and a single point of
failure. For now, I have been able to cope with this without problems and there
are currently no identified bugs in the code base.

Joining Apache will remove most of these problems. Of course, I will be the one
who knows this part better at the beginning, but I hope others will look at
this code and discuss about it to say what they like (I hope they will like
some parts) and what they don't like, why and how it could be better done. This
would be the best thing for this piece of code and its users.

Another benefit for joining Apache is a much larger user base. This is mandatory
for an open-source project.

> One housekeeping thing that we need to consider before we start to
> have real fun with Mantissa is to make sure that you *can* relicense
> and contribute portions of this code to apache.

I can. I am the owner and developper of everything except for one contributed
class, which is probably not interesting for Commons-Math (it is the Robert M.
ZIff four-tap random numbers generator contributed to Mantissa by Bill Maier
and redesigned by me). Everything was developped on my own spare time, and in
addition I do have a specific clause concerning my open-source work in my
contract with the company I work for, just to make sure there is no
interference between private and paid work.

> Please have a look at
> the sections on this page http://www.apache.org/licenses/#clas on CLAs
> and Software Grants.  If you and / or other Mantissa team members
> decide to contribute code to Apache based on Mantissa, you will need
> to be able to sign CLAs and, depending on how the code comes in,
> possibly a Software Grant (if we bring in a substantial amount of code
> in a lump instead of small, refactored bits incrementally, we need to
> do the Grant).

I have read that. I will sign and send both the Individual Contributor License
Agreement and the Software Grant (except for the FourTapRandom class, as I
consider I do not have sufficient rights on it). I will snail mail both to the
Forrest Hill Apache premises.

> Don't worry about the process stuff, I can handle
> that.  The important thing is to make sure that a) you want to join
> the community and b) you can comply with the CLA and freely donate
> contributions.  Feel free to ask questions here or offline.

OK. For this introduction, I prefered to answer online. Now we can switch to a
private discussion to avoid cluttering the list with this administrative stuff
concerning only myself.

> Once again, thanks for your interest in commons-math and we look
> forward to working with you!

Thanks to you to consider accepting my work.

Luc