On Tue, Jun 27, 2006 at 10:56:35AM +0200, Stefan Bodewig wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> while investigating some of the Gump failures (checkstyle and Jelly) I
> realized that the current trunk version doesn't include a
> org.apache.commons.cli package anymore, only a cli2 package.  I guess
> this is intentional and I'm sorry for not paying attention to it
> earlier.

Yes, the plan was to split two of the three implementations (cli and avalon)
into branches and actively develop cli2 in the trunk

> What is the recommended migration path for downstream projects?  Do
> they (Jelly for example) know about it?
>
> Is there a branch of commons CLI that still contains the "old" package
> and that Gump can compile against?  Will there be any maintenance of
> that branch or would building against it equivalent to building
> against the latest released version for the foreseeable future?

any bug fixes which are made to cli2 which are applicable to cli will be ported
across although I don't think this is that likely as cli2 is quite different
from cli. There may also be a cli facade onto cli2 which would allow any
bugfixes to cli2 to be incorporated automatically

The cli branch can be found at /jakarta/commons/proper/cli/branches/cli-1.0.x/
the avalon branch is /jakarta/commons/proper/cli/branches/avalon-implementation/

Andrew Shirley