The regexp file filter has been excluded from [io] releases as [io] is JDK 1.2 compliant, see http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/IO-74.

It would however be possible to use reflection to access the JDKs regexp facility. Is there anyone, perhaps who is looking to contribute to commons for the first time, who would be interested in seeing if this approach is viable, and what performance penalty it carries?

Obviously the reflection solution involves using Strings to find if the java.util.regex.Pattern exists, and then using reflection to call its methods.

Note that there is an alternative of using ORO, but I believe we should stick with the 'no dependencies' rule for [io] (even one that would be optional). And we should at least examine the releaction option.

Stephen