On 7/30/06, Oliver Heger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Rahul Akolkar wrote:
>> Author: oheger
>> Date: Sat Jul 29 07:52:31 2006
>> New Revision: 426813

>> Log:
>> Fixed some problems JDK 1.3 had with our classes

<snip/>

> Can you post the trace? (not that its guaranteed to help, but worth a
> shot -- if we can make any recommendation to JDK 1.3 users).
>
> -Rahul

Okay, here is the exception trace:

Testcase:
testParse(org.apache.commons.configuration.TestHierarchicalConfigurationXMLReader):
Caused an ERROR
null
java.lang.NoSuchMethodError
       at
org.apache.xalan.transformer.TransformerIdentityImpl.createResultContentHandler(TransformerIdentityImpl.java:199)
       at
org.apache.xalan.transformer.TransformerIdentityImpl.transform(TransformerIdentityImpl.java:329)
       at
org.apache.commons.configuration.TestHierarchicalConfigurationXMLReader.testParse(TestHierarchicalConfigurationXMLReader.java:58)

Maybe it's just a problem with my setup. I did some digging, but was
unable to solve the problem. For instance I tried newer versions of
Xerces or xmlapis or checked the JDK1.3 directory structure for other
included XML parsers - without success.

<snap/>

The method in question apparently has existed ever since xalan2 came
about (my guess would have been there is some version xalan1 in
lib/ext, but you've tried all that).

As a side note, xalan 2.6.0 -> 2.7.0 is generally considered a bigger
leap, so I've left [scxml] at 2.6.0 (its closer to what JDK 1.4 had
built in, so the 1.4 user has less reason to need the endorsed
standards override mechanism, and cause any errors therein) -- but
since [configuration] has had atleast one prior release with a xalan
2.7.0 dep (are we using any 2.7.0 specific stuff?), maybe the xerces
version also should be upgraded? (2.7.0 has been tested with xerces
2.7.1).

*Sigh*, cross-JDK compatibilities for XML processing continues to be a
pain point, IMO.

-Rahul

Oliver