On 8/19/06, Oliver Heger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Tomasz Pik wrote:
> On 8/16/06, Dennis Lundberg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> > Yes, but instead of transiting something, that depends on other
commons
>> > IMHO something without dependencies should be transited first.
>> > In other words, first thing to be done should be a graph of
>> dependencies
>> > between various commons packages and those without dependencies
>> > should be migrated first. I guess commons-lang is a good candidate
>> here,
>> > not configuration that depdends on many other (not migrated yet)
>> > components.
>>
>> What would we gain from this? A transition of component A will not
>> include updating existing commons-dependencies in component A to the
new
>> ones with the new groupId. That will require a new release of that
>> component A. If fact we don't even have to wait for a release of a
>> component to do this.
>>
>> There is a good reason for *not* picking commons-lang or
>> commons-logging, two components without dependencies on other commons
>> components, as the first component to transition. That is that both are
>> on ibiblio's top 10 downloads list. I had link to it before but can't
>> seem to find it now, sorry. If we do it wrong there then all hell will
>> break loose. It'd be better to choose a "medium used" component.
>
> But this means, that all of those users, that downloading those top10
> jars in near future will have obosolete jars.
> Maven is not re-downloading nonSNAPSHOT artifacts so...
> Let's imagine I'm a new maven user having project with a dependency on
> commons-lang:commons-lang-2.1 and maven will download it for me.
> Some time later this package will be relocated to
> org.apache.commons.lang:commons-lang:2.1 (or similar).
> After that there'll be new, let's say acegi v1.4 depending on this 'new'
> commons-lang (org.apache....:commons-lang:2.1) and I need this acegi
> in my project.
> So after adding dependency on acegi maven will download
> org.apache.commons.lang:commons-lang:2.1 and won't download
> commons-lang:commons-lang:2.1 (which should result as relocation
> info) and finally, maven will be adding those two commons-lang jars
> into classpath, copy into WEB-INF/lib and so on.
> All of this till the time I'll manually remove
> commons-lang:commons-lang:2.1
> from my repository so maven will be forced to reload them (and will
> download relocation info then).
> So finally I think that sooner those jars will be relocated there'll be
> less
> users having problems like this.
>
> Regards,
> Tomek
>
> --
>> Dennis Lundberg

There are good reasons in this thread from both sides. Being no maven
expert I cannot judge which ones are better.

But as long as this point is open I don't want to cut the next release
candidate for [configuration]. So can we come to a consensus?

FWIW, I am planning to provide both .asc and .sha1 signing keys on the
upcoming Shale release I'm working on.  The .md5 files aren't really a
signature ... they're just a checksum useful in determining whether the
download has been corrupted or not (it is based solely on the content, not
on any private key of the signer).

Oliver

Craig