Simon Kitching wrote:
> It would help if you could provide more details on exactly what
> behaviour you are seeing. In particular, are you seeing this exception
> immediately on startup of a fresh Tomcat install, or is it *any* webapp
> that triggers this, or a specific one? It will be easiest to investigate
> if there is enough info to be able to duplicate the problem.

Steps to reproduce:
- Fresh Tomcat 4.1.32 install (must be this version)
- Place commons-logging.jar in the WEB-INF/lib directory of *any* webapp
- Start Tomcat
- Console full of errors

> You say you've tried commons-logging 1.1.0. Can you please confirm for
> me that you replaced the commons-logging.jar file in $TOMCAT_HOME/lib
> with the commons-logging-api.jar from the binary download of
> commons-logging 1.1? You might want to try setting the following
> environment variable:
>   -Dorg.apache.commons.logging.diagnostics.dest=/some/log/file.txt
> then trigger the problem exception. The diagnostics feature was added to
> JCL 1.1 to investigate just this sort of problem.
I can't swear to trying this exact combination and I haven't done the
diagnostic. I'll do this tonight (off to work now) and post the results.

> I unfortunately don't have a lot of spare time at the moment, but will
> try to find time to look into this once there is sufficent info to
> duplicate the problem locally.
That would be great. Much appreciated.

Mark