Simon Kitching wrote on Thursday, October 12, 2006 9:43 AM:

> It might do; not sure what the performance of ThreadLocal is. However
> the price is extra memory usage: a DateFormatter for every
> thread in the
> system that ever logs a message.

Hm. Two scenarios:

1/ The Thread dies --> the ThreadLocals are gc'ed
2/ The Thread is pooled --> the DateFormatter is reused

Since the DateFormatter is from JDK it does not harm HotDeploy.

Do I miss something?

OTOH - how much time costs the creation and usage of such an object? Or you
might synchronize the usage of the global formatter ... if it is such a rare
situation :)

- Jörg