I don't receive any errors to that effect, but if I try to telnet to the port given in EmailConfiguration.java while the test is hanging the connection is refused.

I just tried building commons-email on another machine and it worked out of the box, so I guess it must be an environmental issue. The test is hanging on OSX 10.4.8 and is working on a Linux machine, so I suspect that the Dumbster SimpleSmtpServer doesn't play well with the Mac environment for whatever reason.