I don't like forking all of commons together.  To say
commons5-collections-1.0 doesn't work for me.  Then, we have to get all of
the commons projects to decide on "fork points."  Am I understanding (c)
correctly?

On 10/25/06, Kris Nuttycombe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Stephen Colebourne wrote:
> From: Mario Ivankovits <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>
>>> Well, the number is dependent on the strategy we are trying to
achieve:

>>> a) using '4' would indicate that every major version will have a new
package name, but then you can't use a major version to just remove
deprections (a compatible major version change)

>>> b) using '5' would indicate the technology reason for the version. The
package would be commons-collections5-1.0.

>>> c) using '5' as the commons name - commons5-collections-1.0
>>>
>>> d) using '2' would just indicate a "major major" next generation
release. The package would be commons-collections2-1.0.

> I believe that our users will find "5 == JDK5" to be an easier concept
to grasp
One reason that I proposed (c) is simply that when you say
"collections5" or "collections2" aloud it sounds like you're talking
about a version of Collections, whereas if you say
"commons5-collections" it's more suggestive of a fork, which is what
we're really trying to get at. Again, I think that this convention would
be useful for other commons projects trying to make the same switch.

(a) -0
(b) +0
(c) +1
(d) -0