On 11/1/06, Henri Yandell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
-1 - we don't have the parallel release cycle to pull this off. We'll
all be stuck because commons doodah has no reason to upgrade and no
one active on it.

<snip/>

Correct, we can't help doodah. But this vote is really not about a
parallel release cycle, or any assumptions thereof. Its about
persuading doodah to upgrade JCL, whenever doodah++ is released (and
if it is never released again, the question doesn't arise).

I'm +1 to upgrading all the dependencies though - I wouldn't even
think it needs a vote. Just dig in and upgrade all the dependencies
you see (on all 3 build systems) and check they still compile. Then
check it in.

<snap/>

Components should have communal responsibility. That is the only thing
that is going to scale.

One person cannot save planetcommons. We cannot require one individual
to go through all (80-odd components, lets say 50 have JCL dep, and 3
builds systems) to upgrade it. Well, I guess we can require it, its
just unlikely to ever happen that way, which puts users at a
disadvantage as this won't get done.

That's why I'm miffed about the commons-parent thing - it's broken the
components because the job hasn't been finished by updating the
pom.xmls. I know it's probably because it can be easy to view Commons
Xxxx as Fred's baby, but it's one big codebase and you can go dive in
and do cross-commons things that seem to be common sense and apologise
later - or raise an all thread to discuss (kind of like below) and
then dive in.

<snip/>

I understand, and I am happy to discuss current state of affairs of
the m2 build. I agree it shouldn't have been broken in the first
place, but I don't have time to fix it right now. I will however, take
a look next weekend at the latest (not the upcoming one, the one in 10
days) and try to help. If you have done a preliminary scan, let me
know what components you want me to look at -- that'd be great since
it will help me get started. I don't think of Commons-Xxxx as Fred's
baby, I just don't have the resources to babysit 80 kids everyday.

But thats an aside. Don't let the m2 situation distract you from the
essense of the vote below.

-Rahul

Hen