Don't mean to be terse, just lack of time.

On 11/1/06, Henri Yandell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On 11/1/06, Oleg Kalnichevski <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
<snip/>

> Rahul,
>
> Allow me to look at the situation from a different angle. I think what
> is definitely missing is a more formal and a clearly articulated product
> 'end of life' policy across all Jakarta.

I don't think the end of life concept fits for us - nothing gets end
of life'd unless we lose the files, close the project or have to
retract the release for some reason (legal).

<snap/>

Call it something else. Invitation to upgrade / preferred version is
x.y.*, some such prodding.

So..Alexandria could be argued as being end of life...just about.
mod_jserv is pretty much end of life. Lang 1.0 is not end of life - if
someone asks a question about it we're not going to then not answer it
- even if our answer is "that was fixed in 1.1". If someone has a
definite need for something on an old version and can't upgrade; and
someone here has the itch; then it'll get fixed otherwise we'd
probably point out how they can fix it themselves (svn etc) and help
if they find problems in the build etc.

<snip/>

Oversimplified view. Some amount of tenacity from users implied there
(also important to note that "fixing it yourself" is not acceptable
for use in many environments).

> Having said all that I personally will have no issue of what so ever to
> put JCL 1.1 as a requirement for HttpClient 3.x the very same moment JCL
> 1.0.3 and 1.0.4 are declared 'end of life / support' by JCL
> maintainers.

A supported dependency range would have value if it existed, but I
think it'll be too hard to maintain/test-for/support you'd need
something gump like with a bit more added to it. The current situation
seems to be a much better return on time - if a project depends on JCL
1.1, then the math of version numbers recommends that you don't try to
put JCL 1.0.x in it. If a project depends on JCL 1.0.2, then you
should feel 90% safe to try out JCL 1.0.4 instead.

<snap/>

To me, that doesn't paint a good picture of us if we release Commons
Foo with 1.1 and Commons Bar with 1.0.2 some time after that. Which is
the ongoing vote, full circle.

-Rahul

Hen