Dear Wiki user,

You have subscribed to a wiki page or wiki category on "Jakarta-commons Wiki"
for change notification.

The following page has been changed by BenSpeakmon:
http://wiki.apache.org/jakarta-commons/Email

The comment on the change is:
Added list of current open issues with status and my recommendation.

- = Project Status =
+ = (Official) Project Status =

  The current status (updated 11/2006) is available through SVN
[http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/jakarta/commons/proper/email/trunk/STATUS.html
here].
+
+ ----
+
+ = Open issues (last updated Feb 13 2007) =
+
+ These are the currently open issues organized according to category.
+
+ == Character set fixes/support ==
+
+ email 1.0 provided limited support for different charsets, and it's generated
four issues.
+
+ [https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/EMAIL-1 EMAIL-1]: Default email
charset not used for text content. A patch has been uploaded that defines three
different cases for this behavior and tests/fixes each.
+
+ [https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/EMAIL-54 EMAIL-54]: Propose a new
Charset enum. The current patch uses the JDK 1.4 java.nio.charset.Charset class
to validate user-supplied charset names. This removes the need for a separate
enumeration of "supported" classes and greatly reduces the headache of
maintaining the support as the JVM continues to evolve. This also incorporates
fixes for two other open issues:
+  * [https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/EMAIL-25 EMAIL-25]: Can't set
charset for a single address.
+  * [https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/EMAIL-14 EMAIL-14]: Support a
couple specific charsets.
+
+ == Bug fixes ==
+
+ email 1.0 doesn't handle HTML embedding or attachments correctly. This is
really bad, and is reason enough for a 1.1 release.
+
+ [https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/EMAIL-50 EMAIL-50]: HTML mail doesn't
display correctly (the issue says in Outlook 2000, but the display fails on
every common mail client I tried). It's not an Outlook-specific error. A patch
is available that fixes this and has been tested on several different clients;
also, the new patch adheres properly to the MIME specs in RFC 2045-2049 where
email 1.0 did not. The fix also resolves two other open issues:
+  * [https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/EMAIL-28 EMAIL-28]: HTML
attachments don't work correctly.
+  * [https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/EMAIL-52 EMAIL-52]: Don't embed the
same URL multiple times in the same email.
+
+ == New feature requests ==
+
+ [https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/EMAIL-35 EMAIL-35]: Allow DataSources
to be directly embedded in HtmlEmails. Patch available.
+
+ [https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/EMAIL-56 EMAIL-56]: Support creating
Email subclasses from MimeMessages.
+
+ ''(BenSpeakmon) One of the MimeMessage constructors in JavaMail (both 1.3 and
1.4) already does this, BTW. I'm not sure this is something that falls within
commons-email's scope. The commons-email API, I think, is for the common cases
where you just want to build and send an email without needing the power (or
complexity) of JavaMail. If you're already pulling messages from an email
server, I don't know why you wouldn't just use JavaMail for manipulating it --
the power and complexity is just what you need for those kinds of jobs. And it
doesn't seem worth the trouble to duplicate any of that code in commons-email
when the existing code works just fine. I'd recommend WONTFIXing this one.''
+
+ [https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/EMAIL-6 EMAIL-6]: Allow attaching one
subclass of Email to another.
+
+ ''(BenSpeakmon) I'm not convinced that it's useful to support attaching one
subclass of Email to another subclass -- that is, the original report creates
an HtmlEmail and then wants to attach that to a MultiPartEmail. The current
design of commons-email would make this very tricky, but aside from that I
don't see the general usefulness of doing so. One case where I do see a use for
this would be when the user wants to attach a MimeMessage he got from somewhere
(like a server or a filestore) to a subclass of Email. This would mean adding
MultiPartEmail.addMimeMessage() methods which would then be attached like the
current addPart() methods. (We'd have to have different names, since
MimeMessage doesn't share a common interface ancestor with MimeMultipart.) I'll
look into this option.''
+
+ == Build fixes/enhancements ==
+
+ [https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/EMAIL-62 EMAIL-62]: Enforce 1.4
source/bytecode in ant and maven 1 builds
+
+ [https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/EMAIL-63 EMAIL-63]: Submitted maven 2
pom.xml.
+
+ [https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/EMAIL-64 EMAIL-64]: use a different
test email server from a live project, not a dead one.
+
+ ----

  = Release Plan =