nicolas de loof wrote on Wednesday, February 14, 2007 9:19 AM:

> That would'nt work anyway
>
> If you allready downloaded commons-cc:1.1 and get (maybe
> transitiviely) a dependency on org.apache.commons:cc:1.2, you will
> get both in
> your classpath
> as maven will not kwon those tow groupIds are for the same artifact.
>
> We can't expect maven to reload the 1.1 POM that is allready
> present in
> local repository (an other cache/mirror/proxy)
> We could only expect maven to know from the 1.2 POM that what the old
> groupId was to establish the two artifacts are same. This
> requires some
> changes in the POM format to include a section about artifact
> "history" in maven repo.

Yep. You're right. Another missing gap. If the new POM contains some
information, that it had been relocated from a different place, Maven could
take it into account. Currently Maven knows about the relocation only, if you
try to download an uncached version from the repo with the old groupId. If the
dep is referenced with the new groupId already, Maven is as blind as reading
old POMs from the cache.

I fear switching the groupId for commons will create some real disruptions :-/

- Jörg