Henri Yandell wrote:
I would like to avoid the silliness of 'Lang5 1.0", much nicer to
emulate Sun's silliness and jump to "Lang 5.0", so it sounds like:

I suspect that Lang5 1.0 is clearer.

1) Create a branch in Lang for the Lang5 version.

2) Change package name to be org.apache.commons.lang5 or
org.apache.commons5.lang. While I quite like the idea of the latter,
the s5 looks bad.

3) Change groupId to org.apache.commons [or commons5] because we don't
want transitive anyway (nice and easy :) ).

4) The Lang website would contain both the 2.x legacy version and the
5.x future version. Until the 5.x one is released the 2.x release
would be the one from which the website is generated; when 5.0 is
released it'll switch to being released from the 5.x branch (same time
that 5.x and trunk switch). Links would be kept to old javadoc,
release notes etc.

May be easier to be a new top level component at commons. Or maybe not. It depends on what proportion of difference we're expecting.

Does that sound right? Is that what is planned for Collections5?

Collections5 was going to be more of a rewrite and rearchitecture. But I doubt I'll have the time for this now.

Stephen