---- Stephen Kestle <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Bryce L Nordgren wrote:
> > First, let me understand the proposal.  Is a 1.4 compatible version of
> > commons-collections going to continue to be supported simultaneously with
> > the 1.5+ "reboot"?  Your answer above indicates "no".
> >
> I just re-read that:  The current version of collections will still be
> supported, just not extended (AFAIK - although, what that means is less
> certain. There wasn't any activity on the new! exciting! generic version
> of collections for months until I spoke up a few days ago.  But
> maintenance is the intention, I believe).
>
> The new version will not be 1.4 compatible (by design - however, I
> believe that it would be possible to retroweave it to 1.4 without any
> trouble.  But you'd still lose any "type safe" cast methods
> MapUtils.getDouble() etc.)

There are plenty of regular users of commons-collections who are also commons
developers (including myself), so I'm quite sure that the existing non-generics
library will be maintained long-term (ie bugfixes applied). Whether there is
enough enthusiasm to add significant new features once the generics-enabled
version is out is less certain, but that's less important.

You certainly don't need to worry about being left using a buggy
commons-collections.

Regards, Simon