On 4/4/07, Henning P. Schmiedehausen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
"Henri Yandell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>So with that said - I'd like to propose that we move to commons.apache.org.

+1 to that, -0 to the name.

"commons" is too generic. There is already an XML commons and I could

We already have the Commons brand within Java. XML and DB and WS
Commons are but duplicates and Java based... maybe once we're a TLP we
can make overtures for them to join - we're largely 'Struts, Tomcat
and some other original bits Commons' right now. Maybe the trick is
less about language and more about a common place for other
communities to interact.

imagine that at some point we might sprout commons for other
languages, too (however this was suggested again and again and never
materialized, so this might be moot).

I agree - and think it'll be moot until it happens. We've no real idea
how it would develop and if we need to restructure internally when
that time comes, maybe.

"Java Commons" would be fine with me, it will be shortened to
"commons" anyway.

From your other email:

Which in reality means, that on the PMC you will have people that care
for Java components and others that care for Ruby components. Again
you have a group that is not a community.

Communities need adhesion. Ours is "Java" and "Java related components".

Possibly. It's all about community overlap and the question will be
whether if we have a Ruby component - it overlaps with a large enough
part of the community. I admit, I doubt it would unless it's a Java
focused one.

However, JRuby is up and coming and we have the new JSR scripting
stuff, so it might be something that is squarely in the Java camp by
then.

My long term thinking for how this would be handled is:

Multiple PMCs, one website. So we'd have Java Commons, Ruby Commons,
BobsYourUncle Commons PMCs, and they'd all share a commons.apache.org
website.

Does that make you less wary of our stepping into the
commons.apache.org shoes to start with?

Setting a public website up as 'Java Commons' seems like a dangerous
thing to do.

Hen