Stephen Colebourne <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

+0 to that. Henri gave a number of good reasons why we want to keep
the "commons" approach open to other languages in the future.

For the first step (taking commons off the sinking jakarta ship), I
would agree that we should add "Java". But it should be made clear
from the beginning, that if another "commons community" (let's say XML
commons) wants to join, we will be able to expand the charter.

        Best regards
                Henning

>I am +1 to TLP so long as it specifies Java, possibly 'Java-focussed' to
>cover [daemon]. As Phil says, thats not anti-other languages, just a
>representation of community.

>I also agree that 'small' isn't that useful.

>Stephen

>Phil Steitz wrote:
>> This may not be popular or a consensus view, but I would
>> a) insert "Java" in front of "libraries and components".
>> b) remove "small" - I don't think that is possible to define in any
>> reasonable way and I would not like to see us arguing about numbers of
>> classes or lines of code.
>> c) change "create and maintain" to "develop"
>>
>> If we agree on a), we are not re-establishing anything, we are just
>> moving Jakarta Commons to TLP.  I thought that was the proposal.
>>
>> I think we are already on thin ice in terms of "binding" and if we
>> take away to common language, we lose the key ingredient that makes
>> j-c go, IMHO.  Look at the real technical discussion that happens here
>> and provides value to the components - it is all about Java and
>> designing reusable components *in Java.*
>>
>> I would be fine with a Python commons or Ruby Commons or whatever
>> there is energy to establish, but trying to mix it all up in one
>> "community" makes no sense to me and seems like a recipe for
>> disintegration if we try to turn Jakarta Commons into that.
>>
>> I am curious as to what others think about this.
>>
>> Phil
>>
>> On 4/6/07, Apache Wiki <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>> Dear Wiki user,
>>>
>>> You have subscribed to a wiki page or wiki category on
>>> "Jakarta-commons Wiki" for change notification.
>>>
>>> The following page has been changed by HenriYandell:
>>> http://wiki.apache.org/jakarta-commons/TLPResolution

>>> + {{{
>>>   Establish the Apache Commons project
>>>
>>>          WHEREAS, the Board of Directors deems it to be in the best
>>> @@ -49, +50 @@
>>>
>>>          RESOLVED, that all responsibility pertaining to the Commons
>>>          sub-project encumbered upon the Apache Jakarta
>>>          Project are hereafter discharged.
>>> + }}}
>>>
>>> + We may need to adjust the resolution slight to say 'Reestablishing',
>>> but I don't think that will be a big change.
>>> +

Henning P. Schmiedehausen  -- [EMAIL PROTECTED] | J2EE, Linux,
|gls
91054 Buckenhof, Germany   -- +49 9131 506540  | Apache person              |eau
Open Source Consulting, Development, Design    | Velocity - Turbine guy     |rwc
                                                                            |m k
INTERMETA - Gesellschaft fuer Mehrwertdienste mbH - RG Fuerth, HRB 7350     |a s
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Buckenhof. Geschaeftsfuehrer: Henning Schmiedehausen |n

               "Save the cheerleader. Save the world."