Yeah - ascii still does scale in some cases. However, I imagine String.equalsIgnoreCase() is an exercise in legacy code conversion as well as speed. By all means, add ignoreCase for the shops that don't need/know better, but just make sure that Collator/Comparator use is an option, and is encouraged in the javadoc. I'm not sure how to raise a ticket for this, as it probably spans quite a few classes...

Henri Yandell wrote:
Stephen Kestle had this view of case insensitivity:

http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LANG-316

Given that I've a strong interest in multiple locales etc, I
definitely see Stephen's point, but your example shows a good reason
why the low ASCII chars do scale - domain names (at least until it all
gets complicated at some unknown point in the future).

Make them @since 3.0 (given that's what it is in JIRA). We can change
that later if need be.

Hen