On 4/15/07, Torsten Curdt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Niall wrote:
> A number of components have done this recently and it means
> less chance of something going wrong after the vote passes as it
> simply becomes a case of copying the jars/distros that have been voted
> on rather than building a whole new set when "cutting a release".

True and makes total sense. Unfortunately the maven release process
does not really adhere to that - unless I am missing something.

  mvn release:prepare -Prc
  mvn release:perform -Prc

Creates the tag and deploy to the snapshot repo.

  mvn release:prepare -Prelease
  mvn release:perform -Prelease

Would be next ....but that would not match our (or the quite common)
process of turning a RC into a release.

Instead of deploying straight to m2-ibiblio-rsync-repository, "stage"
the release somewhere else for the vote.  The two ways that work right
now are:

1. Use an alternate deployment repository configured in the pom or on
the command line.

   See http://maven.apache.org/developers/release/releasing.html
which talks about
   how to release parts of the Maven project.

2. Override <distributionManagement><repository> in your project pom.

Many projects use space under http://people.apache.org/builds/ to do
this, for example:
http://people.apache.org/builds/tiles/2.0.3/ .  This has the source
and binary distributions at the top, and then a staging repo for the
Maven artifacts, which can be merged (or just copied) into the rsynced
repo after the vote.

--
Wendy