On 6/30/07, Martin van den Bemt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Niall Pemberton wrote:
> On 6/29/07, Martin van den Bemt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> Hi Niall,
>>

> Betwixt test cases are bizarre - but they do highlight a potential
> issue. Unfortunately BeanUtils development is slow and I'd rather
> ponder this some more than take a definite position at this point - a
> "compatbility" option in BeanUtils would be good, but I have to find
> the cycles and motivation to do it :(

The testcase gives me a headache indeed :) It seriously looks buggy :)

>> I decided to leave it to the user to use the improved beanutils
>> functionality and solved the build
>> problem by copying the beanutils 1.7 code over to betwixt (see
>> http://svn.apache.org/viewvc?view=rev&revision=552049). This gives me
>> the certainty that people
>> don't have any problems "deserliazing" their objects when beanutils
>> trunk is on their classpath :)
>
> The problem/issue with this approach is that you prevent Betwixt users
> taking advantage of the improved conversion facilities that will be
> offered by BeanUtils in the next release. Betwixt build issues can be
> fixed (i have a tested patch) to work for both the new and the old -
> leaving the compatibility issue open for now (but to be resolved
> before a BeanUtils release).

Nah users can simply override the default by eg calling
BeanReader.setBindingConfiguration(their own
BindingConfiguration).. If they don't do anything they will get the default
with the stable
behavior. So people already doing "advanced" betwixt stuff, probably already
don't use the
DefaultStringConverter anymore. So no problem from the betwixt side. (although
I am interested in
your patch)

I've created a "compatibility" Jira issue for BeanUtils - and I stuck
the betwixt patch there so you could see it:

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/BEANUTILS-285

Niall

Mvgr,
Martin