On 7/17/07, Henri Yandell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On 7/14/07, Stephen Colebourne <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Henri Yandell wrote:
> > One area for discussion is the split between the optional Collections
> > component and the 'Core' beanutils. Do we maintain that, or should we
> > just fold the code back together?
> >
> > 1.7.0 shipped three versions:
> >
> > commons-beanutils-1.7.0.jar
> > commons-beanutils-core-1.7.0.jar
> > commons-beanutils-collections-1.7.0.jar
> >
> > where the first is the sum of the second and third.
> >
> > Personally I think we should just merge them back together. It's not
> > worth the effort.
>
> The purpose is to avoid forcing users to take dependencies that they are
> not interested in, [collections] in this case. As such I think that the
> split is a Good Thing.

Main problems with this are that we didn't do that. We kept a merged
version for the normal beanutils jars, and released a couple of lesser
jars that are probably not used.

Given that BeanUtils is looking pretty old and tired, I'm not sure its
users really want to discover classes missing when next they upgrade
the beanutils jar. In which case, we're just wasting effort by having
a separate pair of jars.

My view is that we have the following options:

1) Merge em back in and just release the 1 jar.
2) Split them; do not release a beanutils.jar (or if we do, it's
beanutils-core renamed) and setup beanutils-collections as a separate
component in Commons or as a child of beanutils with core as an
equivalent child (ie: Maven2 multiproject).

I don't want to do a maven multi-project - but I also don't see whats
wrong with releasing the three jars as they were last time - as I said
eariler in this thread - merge in the bean-collections sub-project,
but use an assembly to re-create the core and bean-collections jars.
As attached artifacts then people would have the option to depend on
those if they so desired (as my understanding of maven goes).

Niall

Hen