Hi, Dennis!

No need to subscribe to the dev list. We can handle the issue over JIRA:

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TRANSACTION-16

Just add comments there.

The code that I am referring to is in SVN in the TRANSACTION_2 branch.
You can just use this link as a starting point:

http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/jakarta/commons/proper/transaction/branches/TRANSACTION_2/src/java/org/apache/commons/transaction/

Note that this is work in progress and subject to many, many changes.

OK. I would be more than glad to see you invest some time into this
after your vavation :)

Cheers

Oliver

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TRANSACTION-16?page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:comment-tabpanel#action_12512556
> ]
>
> Oliver Zeigermann commented on TRANSACTION-16:
>
> I have now tried to set up new landmarks for commons transaction 2.0.
> All Java 5 features, including Generics and the concurrent package
> are allowed now.
>
> Dennis, could you try and see where your work could fit in?
> Especially, considering the new "internal" TransactionManager,
> LockManager and LockPolicy.
>
> Does this make sense to you in the first place?

Hi,

Note that I am not on the mailing list for the time being. Too much
traffic, and not much of relavance to me.

I am unsure where I can read about the stuff you are referring to above.
The wiki contains some notes from the 27th of june on version 2.0 - is
that it?

Therefore I'm not sure about the internal mechanisms you refer to. But,

1) Regarding locking, I'm hoping to implement MVCC support to avoid
locking per se. Otherwise I would probably make much sense to use the
already existing locking functionality in my implementations.

2) If you mean a TransactionManager as the term is used in JTA, I
haven't implemented such a beast. I have a dummy/mock for testing
purposes, that's all.

Besides from the above I was considering moving all of my
implementations into a single unified one for all kinds of objects.
Since the "transactional object model" is based on recording method
invocations, it could just as well be used for collections etc.

The "depth" of recorded invocations could be declarable (for instance so
only interface-method-invocations are recorded for collections. The
problem with this is that any optimizations possible from the knowledge
of the interface in question, are lost.

If Java 6 and "our" dedicated class loader (or compile-time enhancing)
could be assumed, the implementation could go to the ultimate level of
transparancy with bytecode instrumentation that intercepts all field
reads and writes.

A whole area that I haven't put much thought into yet is distribution. I
guess it's really a separate concern from isolation and transaction
protection though.

I'm on vacation these couple of weeks, but I'll see if I can put a bit
of effort into this afterwards.

-dennis