I installed the plugin manually [1], but still getting the same error.
Does any one know the exact version of maven-assembly plugin that I
should install/use?

Thanks,
Chinthaka

[1] : mvn install:install-file -DgroupId=org.codehaus.plexus
-DartifactId=plexus-archiver -Dversion=2.1 -Dpackaging=jar
-Dfile=/home/aragorn/Desktop/maven-assembly-plugin-2.1.jar