Some of you have noticed some discussions on WSCOMMONS-299.   I've also been
thinking about some of those issues and I DID have a discussion with Glen
Daniels at TSSJS about the possibility of starting work on a Neethi 3.0.
With the comments and stuff on WSCOMMONS-299, it might be time to really start
it.   Thus, I'd like to "svn cp" the trunk to a 2.x branch for future
maintenance and start making trunk 3.0.

Things I'd like tackled for 3.0:

1) Java 5 - make the collections and everything typed.  Use Enums where
appropriate, etc....  Basically, general cleanup.   Also, I see that many
operations aren't threadsafe due to use of HashMap's with no synchronization.
Possibly fix those with ConcurrentHashMaps or similar.

2) Better support for the nested policies as described in WSCOMMONS-299.

3) Change the builders to use XMLStreamReader.   The Policies use
XMLStreamWriter.  For consistency, using the reader is preferred.   This also
removes Axiom as a dependency making the requirement list smaller.

4) With (3) fixed, most of the Neethi "fork" we have in CXF can be ported
back.  CXF has a few utilities and such that would be good to push back and
then remove from CXF.

5) Once all of that is done, it would open up the door to allow some more
"common" Policies objects for standard policies.   Some could be in Neethi
directly (things like policies objects for WS-Addressing assertions, mtom
stuff, etc...).    Others, like the WS-SecurityPolicy stuff could either go
into Neethi or might be better in WSS4J.   This could help eliminate a BUNCH
of duplicate code between users of Neethi, particularly CXF and Rampart.
(maybe if I keep pushing similar code down into commons, we can have a big
merger in the future.  Acxfis 3?  Maybe not.  :-) )

6) Support for WS-Policy 1.5.

Anyway, if no one really objects to starting the 3.0 work, I'd like to create
the 2.x branch later this week.    Thoughts?

BTW: This is also why I STRONGLY am in favor of Neethi staying in commons and
not going to an Axis2 TLP.

--
Daniel Kulp
dk...@apache.org