Off the top of my head I don't know of any problems with PutMethod and proxy
servers so most likely it is an interaction problem between HttpClient and
the proxy, possibly caused by an error in the code setting up and calling
httpclient, possibly caused by an error in the proxy and possibly by a bug
in http client.

To decide between them all we really need a lot more information.  Here's a
few steps that are likely to be useful in tracking down the problem:

1. Try with a different proxy server (preferably a completely different type
to the one you're currently using).

2. Take a look at the logging output produced by HttpClient.  See
http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/httpclient/logging.html for information on
how to adjust the logging level of HttpClient.  Make sure you take a look at
wireLog to see the interaction between HttpClient and the proxy server.

3. Check to see if a browser can successfully perform the post through a
proxy.

4. Search bugzilla to make sure that there isn't a known bug about this
already logged there.

If none of that shows you the answer, send us through all that information
along with the version of HttpClient you're using and a small test case that
highlights the problem and the guru's around here are likely to be able to
help you out.

Hope that helps,

Adrian Sutton, Software Engineer
Ephox Corporation