Ortwin Glück wrote:

This correct modulo all the phrases with the word "ASCII" in it. It's just about a sequence of bytes and has nothing to to with ASCII (which is 7-bit only by the way).
Yes, of course. I'm not very good with the names of my encodings, just some of the issues surrounding them. I was merely trying to come up with a plausible explanation as to why the functions exist in the first place, not an explanation for how they could possibly be considered correct, which I don't think they can be.

-Elric