Michael Becke wrote:

I think it would be possible to add cross site redirects at the HttpClient level without removing the other functionality from the HttpMethod. HttpClient would just need to check the status code and re-try. But, just because it is possible doesn't mean we should do it. If we have the go-ahead to implement this I'm all for it.

I implemented it this way in my HttpCache code that sits on top of httpclient but doesn't use the HttpClient class. There's an outer loop in my cache's executeMethod, and it calls the inner loop in HttpMethodBase.execute. It got messy and was a bit hard to get right, but it worked. In general, I think it's cleaner to have all of the redirection and authentication handled in one loop, rather than having two separate ones. It just makes the architecture simpler.

The only good reason I can see for going with a two-loop solution is the fact that we're fairly close to a final release right now and might want to keep the code stable. On the other hand, if we're going to make a semantic API change like this, it's probably better to do it now, before 2.0 final.

-- Laura