Ingo,
The patch was not supposed to solve the bug, as I still have no clear
idea what may be causing the problem in the first place. It is merely a
refactoring and code improvement patch, that should make
'expect-continue' stuff more robust.

It appears the problem is somehow related to the use of SSL, but I can't
tell more at the moment

Cheers

Oleg