I would support addition regardless, but then that's just me. I assume by "custom DNS resolution" you mean passing in the resolved values eg the HttpClient library is told: "here's the Name/IP mapping, do a GET to this IP with this Host: <Name>"?

I was thinking more along the lines of an interface that would provide DNS resolution. This interface would be used by HttpConnection when opening connections. In general DNS names would be used everywhere except for when creating sockets.

Mike