On Friday, February 28, 2003, at 01:51 AM, Dennis Cook wrote:

Here is the complete session:

[ ... ]
<Jandalf> 1) I'm kinka amazed that cross host redirects has been absent for
so long. Its seems glaring.
[ ... ]

Indeed it is. A large amount of the redirects I see are cross-site redirects. It makes sense, given the number of cgi scripts there are which count people leaving a site to go elsewhere.

Incidentally, some sites don't even give an absolute URL; you have to resolve it relative the current URL ie you treat the redirected-from URL as the base. I would think the RFC says this is a non-no, and I probably wouldn't expect HttpClient to go this far. However, it's one example why I wouldn't use any built-in redirection.

--
Mike