Hi Nick,
I think I've confused myself and in turn this conversation.  I think we
generally agree though.  Here's the solutions that I would propose in
preferential order.

1. Add support for no-proxy URLs to HttpClient, so that you can set the
proxy host, port and a list of servers not to use the proxy with.  Then
provide a utility method for applets in the contrib directory which pulls
the proxy settings from system properties and sets up a given HttpState with
them (or creates a new one for convienience - possibly even just pass in a
HttpClient instance and it will grab the state out itself).
setProxySettings(HttpState)
setProxySettings(HttpState, Credentials)
would be good methods for this.

2. If no-proxy URLs aren't added to HttpClient until a future release
(likely since we're trying to get 2.0 out the door).  Then we'd need to have
an option for:
setProxySettings(HttpState, URL, Credentials)
which would indeed have to be called for each URL.

>As long as the docs were somewhere it would be ok.  It could be in the
>manual or simply in a readme text file along with the Applet utility.

Yep, I'm trying to collate all our knowledge in either the user manual or
developer manual at http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/httpclient/ (check in
the side bar).

>How passwords are stored is probably beyond this project's scope.  However,
>recommendations should be made somewhere with regards to proxy servers so
>that once proxy servers are detected, the type of credentials required for
>authentication can be determined.  I believe that once the mysticism about
>how to detect proxy servers are handled, figuring out how to authenticate
>will be the next problem.

Agreed, Oleg has taken charge of and I believe completed a feature request I
logged quite a while back to be able to retrieve the realm information for
authentication and the type of authentication being performed.  Once that's
committed, it will be easy to work out what credentials are required for the
proxy etc.

>If I can be of assistance on this utility I would be glad to help.  We
>should be able to incorporate something like this into our code easily when
>it is finished.

Excellent!  I'm swamped with work as usual, but will hopefully have a chance
to look into actually doing something about this shortly.

Adrian Sutton, Software Engineer
Ephox Corporation
www.ephox.com