I ran into a HttpClient hang at 3 this morning so I now call:
client.setConnectionTimeout(connTimeOut);
client.setTimeout(sockTimeOut);

What are reasonable values, I'm not waiting for the connection to finish correct, just waiting for valid data? At first I was thinking it's going to wait for the connection to finish, which in some cases is upwards of 10 minutes, large data downloads. But if it's just a period of time that nothing comes across the wire then I obviously wouldn't want to set it to that.

Also, on a side NON HttpClient note. I'm getting another Socket hang on the following non HttpClient line:
BufferedReader br = new BufferedReader(new InputStreamReader(url.openStream()));

Is there a way to set a socket timout here? url is an FTP Url.

Thanks.

Jan Gonsalves