I have another problem with proxies in that even if shouldCloseConnection() returns true, the connection to the proxy isn't actually closed and I'm not sure why. Any hints about where proxy connections are closed?

Ah, ignore this bit. I'd screwed up the test case so it added a proxy-connection header but didn't set a proxy on the connection so HttpMethodBase never looked for the header, I'd further screwed up the positioning of my debug statements so I was looking at the output of the wrong test case making life rather difficult. :)

I'll create a new bug with the final patch so it doesn't get lost.

Adrian.