The problem is that retries/redirects are handled inside of HttpMethodBase. This is an issue because the method is given the HttpConnection and does not have access to a HttpConnectionManager. So, in the event of a redirect to a different host/port/protocol the method does not have a connection (and cannot create one) to process the request with.

The current plan is to move the retry/redirect logic to HttpClient, most likely for 2.1.

Mike

Christian Sell wrote:
Michael,

I take this to mean its a technical restriction caused by HttpClients internal architecture. Could you (or someone) elaborate a little more?

Christian

Michael Becke wrote:

Hello Christian,

Please take a look at http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/httpclient/redirects.html.

Mike

Christian Sell wrote:

Hello,

looking at the HttpClient internals, I see that redirecting to different protocol, host or port is not supported. What are the specific reasons for ths restriction? I did not find a statement to that effect in RFC 2616.

thanks,
Christian