On 21/08/2003 9:04 AM, "Yue Luo" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi,
>   I am new to httpclient.  I have a few general questions about the
> library and wonder if you could help me.

I think you've probably already found the stuff on our website, but people
who are new to HttpClient should definitely read through the tutorial
(http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/httpclient/tutorial.html) before trying
to write code that uses HttpClient.

>   1. HTTP 1.1 standard supports pipelining (RFC2616 section 8.1.2.2). I
> looked at HttpMethodBase.java.  It seems that httpclient does not allow
> pipelining.  Is it true?  Is pipelining used in any popular browsers?

No, HttpClient does not use pipelining, though it does support connection
reuse.  There are enough problems with connections being dropped
unexpectedly (as allowed by the standard) with persistent connections let
alone using pipelining with that.  IE does not seem to use pipelining and I
think by default mozilla doesn't either though it has recently acquired an
option to do so.

>   2. I did not see httpclient using java.nio package.  So I guess that
> it does not provide asynchronous API either.  Is there any plan to take
> advantage of the nio package and add asynchronous API?

HttpClient supports Java 1.2 and above and as such nio is not available.  If
you need asynchronous downloads you should spawn a separate thread (or
utilise a thread pool).

>   3. The links to mailing lists on  the page:
> http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/httpclient/mail-lists.html
>   does not work.  Will anyone put the correct link on the web?

The archive links do appear to be broken (though subscribe and unsubscribe
seem to be right).  I'm not sure what the URL for the official archives are
- anyone know?  Should we just point to one of the other external archives
that are available?

> Yue

Regards,

Adrian Sutton.