As you note, this is not really a problem as all IOExceptions caused
during close are buried. It would be nice if this worked a little more cleanly though. I have no idea why we close all of the various streams and then the socket. It does seems a little redundant. Does closing the output not close the input in this case?
Closing the output may close the input too. But this is not problem. You can usually close a closed stream. The original problem is caused by flush(). Because the output stream is a buffered stream, when you close it, it will try to flush its content before really close. This flush caused exception, not the close itself.

Yue