> Was there any significant overhead in using the 1.1 counterparts?

I did not do any performance measurements. Anyways, running on JVM 1.1 one can expect
quite a bit of a performance degradation compared to newer JVMs.

> Vector and  Hashtable are both synchronized which might be a performance
> problem if they're used often.  I don't know the internals of
> HttpClient, so I can't say how often they're used.

They are used a lot. Synchronized access will undoubtedly will have an impact.

>  The com.sun classes
> are no issue for us, as we ship with them anyway... but I agree that a
> generic Java 1.1 HttpClient should probably not have the reliance.

If we ever decide to make the JRE 1.1 port publicly available, we should make a
reasonable effort not to make it SUN specific.