Does it mean that I can't set different timeouts for different methods sharing the same client?
If not, how can I arrange this?

thanks again

Kalnichevski, Oleg wrote:
Here's the current hierarchy of preference objects

Global params
 !
 +--- HttpClient params
       !
       +--- HttpConnectionManager params
       !     !
       !     +--- HttpConnection params
       !
       +--- HttpMethod params

Logically SO_TIMEOUT parameter applies to HttpConnection objects. It has nothing to do with HttpMethod objects (at least in my opinion). This way SO_TIMEOUT parameter can be defined at the HttpConnection level or any level above HttpConnection, that is HttpConnectionManager, HttpClient, or Global. HttpConnection will retrieve the value of SO_TIMEOUT from the lowest level at which it is defined. Per default SO_TIMEOUT is undefined, that is, the JVM default value will apply

HTH