Ingo Brunberg wrote:
To work around a bug in the Java VM in this manner seems a bad idea to
me.

When making applications that work on more than one platform and more than one JDK, working around specific implementation bugs is a very common problem. I just remeber the drag and drop and threading nightmares in Swing under Windows and Mac OS X under 1.3 and 1.4 from some other project... So objections from my side.

Also I think it is good design making distinct parts of an application (i.e. libraries) catch all unchecked exceptions and handle them in a generic way (e.g. rethrow them as a general checked exception) to protect other parts of the application. This improves isolation of individual components.

Odi