On 20/2/04 1:56 AM, "Stefan Dingfelder" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> Hi all,
> the web side simply claims 'Authentication using Basic, Digest and the
> encrypting NTLM (NT Lan Manager) methods'.
> I could not find any information related to the implemented version of
> NTLM. Is it just the older one or working with NTLMv2 also?
>
> Many thanks in advance,
> Stefan Dingfelder

It's almost impossible to know what you're referring to because NTLM has
never been published and actually given different names and versions.  There
have been quite a few changes to NTLM over time.

Initially a very insecure form of NTLM was used in windows this was later
updated to remove the glaring security flaws.  HttpClient uses this update.

There is a slightly different version of NTLM in nearly every version of
Windows, particularly different between Windows 95/98 and Windows NT based
OSs.  HttpClient uses a method which should be compatible with both Win 95
and Windows NT based systems.

There was a later version of NTLM brought out with Windows 2003 Server which
I have very little knowledge of but if the new encryption and signing stuff
is turned on it will almost certainly not work with HttpClient.

So I guess the answer to your question is that HttpClient doesnąt use any
version of NTLM, it uses it's own form that was generated by reverse
engineering (performed by a number of people) and should work with all
versions of Windows short of Windows 2003 Server with the fancy "lock out
everything that's not a Windows 2003 Server" option turned on.

Regards,

Adrian Sutton.

Intencha "tomorrow's technology today"
Ph: 38478913 0422236329