Peter,
(1) Use commons-httpclient-2.0.jar. It is the official stable release of
HttpClient
(2) Please pay attention to capitalization of method names:
 HttpClient#getState is not the same as HttpClient#GetState
(3) Method HttpState#setCredentials(String, String, Credemtials) does
exist in both 2.0 and 3.0-dev

For more details please refer to the HttpClient javadocs:

http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/httpclient/apidocs/index.html

Oleg