Fair point.  ASF is the legal owner, not the "maintainer".  But @author
tags do not help in identifying the maintainer at all for many reasons.

A maintainer really implies one place or person for contact.  A running
list of @author tags, some current some ancient, do not satisfy this.

The only real maintainer is the project itself: in this case all of
HttpClient.  Questions as to maintainance should *always* be directed to
the mailing list, not to individuals.

I think that the only real value to @author tags (in OSS) is to
associate recognition to the programmer, which is valuable in itself but
can be satisfied in other ways that don't have legal/clarity problems.

The trick is to find a mechanism that is ubiquitous, easy and powerful
for providing recognition without the other problems.  And hopefully
this could be standardized for all of Jakarta.

-jsd