Well, hmmm - I'm perfectly happy to have my name removed, or sign a CLA.

My quick scan of the files revealed what I suspect is a much longer list of authors that probably haven't signed a CLA than just those two that you indicate.

Rewriting the code is a drastic and expensive solution! I would think that we only go there in case of clear infringement, not just because there might be. My understanding (courtesy of Groklaw), is that with normal copyright infringement there must be the opportunity to remedy the infringement before any damages kick in. That point, I think, it would be the time to consider replacing code. At least, that is what I understand of US law (of course, IANAL).

-Eric.

Jeff Dever wrote:

+1

Additionally, we should seek to contact those currently in @author tags that do not have a CLA on file, and ask permission that they be removed or to encourage them to sign a CLA. I'll do this.

BTW: If we can't get either of these to things from a contributor (Sean and Sun-Gu at this point) then we will probablly should rewrite any code that can be attributed to them.

-jsd

Ortwin Glück wrote:

+1

Michael Becke wrote:

Given the current ambiguity regarding @author tags I propose that we suspend their use for contributors without a CLA on file. This is meant to be a temporary solution until something official is endorsed by the ASF board.

Mike

Vote: Suspend use of @author tags
[ ] +1 I am in favor of the proposal
[ ] -1 I am against this proposal (must include a reason).